The International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) - the people who ran the (WTO) MC8 Parallel Symposium on trade and development I attended in Geneva in December - has produced a new ebook, The Future and the WTO: Confronting the Challenges, A Collection of Short Essays, with some BIG, BIG names contributing:
- Roderick Abbott - The Future of the Multilateral Trading System and the WTO
- Andrew Stoler - Addressing 20th Century ‘WTO-Plus’ Issues in the Multilateral Trading System
- Debra Steger (see December link above) - Strengthening the WTO Dispute Settlement System: Establishing a Dispute Tribunal
- Carolyn Deere-Birkbeck - The Future of the WTO: Governing Trade for a Fairer, More Sustainable Future
- Rorden Wilkinson (see December link above) - What Needs to Be Done Before We Can Reform the WTO
- Pradeep S Mehta and Natasha Nayak - Global Problems Need Global Solutions: The Need for a Multilateral Framework on Competition
- TU Xinquan and LIN Guijun (see Geneva link for EPIC snippet of his paper talk) - The Revival of the Industrial Policy: How Should the WTO Address It?
- Peter Allgeier - The Trade Toolbox and Environmental Sustainability: The Case for Fisheries
- Christophe Bellman and Marie Wilke - Trade Policies for Resource Security: Rethinking Export Restrictions
And this is just a sampling of the people I know! There are 30 contributions in this epic ebook that address the scope and difficulties in governing international trade. When I began my long labour of love to becoming a WTO scholar, I wish I had known things like this were out there. If you’re interested in more information on the 30 essays (topic, contributor, etc), send a message, and I’ll pass along the good word. THIS IS A NOT-TO-BE-MISSED FOR TRADE AND POLITICAL ECONOMY SCHOLARS!